We offer a range of temporary workspace for artists, collectives, arts organisations and charities, nationwide. These temporary spaces are predominantly in former retail or office units where the landlord is struggling to find a commercial tenant. While they are searching for the right tenant we take on a meanwhile lease and work with local artists to put the space to positive use. Since we began working in meanwhile space over a decade ago, we’ve occupied over 500 buildings and supported over 2,000 artists to do great things.
Our meanwhile spaces provide; affordable and versatile studio, rehearsal and project spaces that allow for experimentation in ways that might not be suitable in a standard studio environment. They offer incubator options for new projects with low overheads, limited financial risk, and provide an alternative workspace for artists that may otherwise struggle to meet market value rents.
We are particularly interested in working with artists who engage with the local community; we’re committed to working with artists of all backgrounds, ages, levels, and progressions within their artistic practice.
Key points with temporary studios:
- We can be given a 30-day notice to vacate the studios at any stage, although in practice we often end up being there for a few months and in some cases, years!
- As repurposed venues these spaces come with limited facilities, (no wifi, sometimes no/limited heating) but they are extremely affordable per sqft compared to traditional studio spaces
- No commercial activity is allowed in the spaces – this means they cannot be used primarily as selling spaces but it is ok to have occasional events, shows and gallery sales, it just can’t be the main focus of activity
- While you will be in regular contact with our studio team we manage these studios remotely from our base in Leeds. We will visit the premises to conduct inductions and check ins but on the whole you will take responsibility for day to day tasks such as cleaning and locking up
- We will ask for monitoring information from you on a monthly basis – this includes your audience figures and meter readings